The Package Redesign Project is fairly self-explanatory just from the name, but just in case, we were tasked to find a product with subpar packaging and redesign the packaging to better suit a hypothetical audience and our own aesthetic principles. We were only banned from choosing two products: maraschino cherries and pickles. Why these particular products offended so many of the people taking this class, I have no idea, but it could have something to do with the fact that our only source for finding package designs was Amazon or Walmart. Being similarly limited, I decided to redesign the Walmart Hot Cocoa with Marshmallows package that had offended my eyes a few weeks before.
I really, really hated the “Value Size” bar across the top, and the rest of the packaging was pretty lackluster. To inspire me in this project, I created a Pinterest board with examples of great, interesting packaging designs and redesigns, which you can find here. Some of my favorites included bright colors, sans serif fonts, and cute patterns.
I suspect I may have had more fun researching than actually completing the project, but there were so many good resources to be found! But once I actually started on the project, I had a great time creating icons and projects to use for the project. First, I needed a cute, simple icon of hot cocoa with marshmallows (since none of the stock photos I found went with the already established color of the plastic lid.) I created some sketches and researched mug shapes, and finally came up with this:
The colors were definitely not final, but it did what I needed it to! After that, it was a matter of creating patterns. I actually made six before I decided on the one I wanted!
I had to change the color at the end of the project to more closely match the color of the lid, changing the red background to bright pink. Here’s the basis for the final pattern, edited with the Adobe Illustrator pattern settings to offset it and repeat it.
After that, it was a matter of recreating the Nutrition Facts labels and the directions for making your hot cocoa. I wanted to make it a little more fresh and fun, something that went well with the overall design.
The final step was to print the new package design and actually affix it to the container. Below are some shots of the containers side by side for comparison.
And some necessary shots of the redesign on its own…
This was the finished flat design (in RGB mode, so it didn’t turn out super pink!)
From there, we gathered feedback from our peers, our professor, and our friends to improve the packages we already had. I was asked to improve the typography, create more of a clear hierarchy of information on the front label, and to reprint on paper better suited to the project. From my own observations, I could see that the color on the package was not yet quite right, as it did not match the color of the lid exactly. I also needed to fix the pattern I was using, so there wouldn’t be any white lines showing up and disrupting the repeating pattern.
First things first, I had to fix the font issues. I needed a cute font that would work well with the readable sans serif font I had already selected, but that would stand out and also play nicely with the vector pattern. I must have gone through about 50 fonts trying to find the right fit, and then I had to mess with them all to find the right sizes and styles!
Second, I had to change the pattern’s color and sizing so it would better match the lid of the existing packaging and so the white lines that had been showing up would disappear. I was rather limited in color palette choices because of said existing packaging, so I went with a clean, monochromatic palette. For my next project, I’ve really got to steer away from white, pink, and black!
Third, I needed to change the logo! I neglected to do anything fun and different last time, so I wanted to change that. The Great Value logo is uninspired, I feel, and it draws attention away from the rest of the product packaging.
Here are some pictures of the (final) finished project! I printed out the label on 11 by 17 glossy paper, cut it at the copy shop, and then glued the paper onto the container. The construction process for a container like this is hardly sophisticated, but I definitely got it wrong last time by getting glue all over the paper and using photo paper to boot!
And here is the final product for your viewing convenience! I wanted to redesign this to appeal to a wider, more aesthetic-conscious audience. Millennials are notorious for liking beautiful, clever packaging, whether it’s on beauty products or contact lenses. Everyone knows what hot cocoa looks like, so serving recommendations aren’t necessary unless you’re really going crazy. The bright, iconic pattern and the relatively clean look, especially with the new typography and the simplistic nature, should definitely catch your eye on a store shelf.
To showcase the finished product, our final challenge was to create a Pitch Book to propose the redesign. We were required to include an appealing front and back cover, a clear table of contents, a one-page redesign plan, an overview of the fonts, colors, and logos, the flat package design, product photography, and a sample advertisement. I created the layouts in Adobe Illustrator, then imported the elements into Adobe InDesign to add photos and page styles. The finished pitch book is included below.
As always, thanks for following and supporting my work!